Fitness & Nutrition Tips
7-Layer dips are fun, flavorful and fairly healthy. Refried beans are a great source of good source of Protein, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Phosphorus, and Potassium. You’ll also get potassium from the avocado – did you know that avocados contain more potassium than bananas? And you’ll get antioxidants such as Lycopene from the tomatoes. One serving has 240 calories, 11 grams of fat, 25 grams of carbs, and 12 grams of protein.
Here’s a recipe for low calorie and less fat Seven Layer Dip for Sunday’s Super Bowl
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
Serving Size: 3 pita triangles with dip
16-ounces refried beans, fat free
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
2 avocados, mashed well
1 cup non-fat sour cream
1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
2 ounces black olives
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp minced garlic
¼ cup chopped white
non-stick cooking spray
2 whole wheat tortillas
STEP 1: Bake Tortilla Chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice tortillas into triangles (6 each).
3. Place triangles on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spray the tortillas with a light mist of nonstick cooking spray and a pinch of salt.
4. Bake for five minutes or until crisp.
5. Remove from the oven and immediately squeeze the juice of half a lime over the chips.
STEP 2 – Chop, Shred, Mince, and Dice:
1. Chop onions
2. Mince garlic
3. Shred romaine lettuce
4. Green onions chopped
5. Dice tomatoes
6. Chop black olives
7. Shred Cheddar Cheese
STEP 3 – Make Guacamole:
Mix mashed avocado with lime juice, onion, garlic and salt (to taste).
STEP 4 – Create Dip:
1. Start by layering a dish with shredded romaine.
2. Next layer with refried beans.
3. Next layer in guacamole.
4. Next layer in sour cream.
5. Next layer in green onions.
6. Next layer in diced tomatoes.
7. Next layer in black olives.
8. Finally, layer in shredded cheese.
Enjoy with the zesty baked tortilla chips!